Wesleyan University : Middletown, CT
Adaptive reuse and addition to a 1934 Squash Building designed by McKim Mead and White. The new structure provides faculty office, meeting space, libraries, classrooms, and seminar rooms for three departments: the College of Letters; Art History; and the Career Resource Center. The existing two story volumes are well suited for new teaching spaces and libraries. They also allow the introduction of mezzanines for office and support uses.
Located along the eastern edge of the University’s central space, the addition extends and complements the architectural character of this “College Row” in massing, alignments, and materials. It uses contemporary languages of craft to articulate the exterior façade, as well revealing the interior structural bones. The new two story western addition completes the unfinished abutting party wall and, together with the new campus center creates a new promenade/plaza on the central north-south campus pathway.
The University’s commitment to pursuing a LEED ‘platinum’ certification triggered an effort that involved the entire design and construction team.
Preservation Award, CT historic Preservation Board
Facility of Merit Award, Athletic Business Magazine