In 1979, the Rockefeller family bequeathed 84 acres of its estate to The National Trust for Historic Preservation for use as a museum and conference center to advance the philanthropic mission of The Rockefeller Brothers Fund. The property includes the family house, Kykuit, built in 1909 and 1913; the Orangerie of 1908; and the Coach Barn of 1902 and 1913.
Our work involved two parts: restoring Kykuit to serve as a museum of the family’s history and provide guest rooms for conferees, and renovating the family Coach Barn into a state-of-the-art international conference center with guest rooms.
The Coach Barn was originally a utility building with horse stables, an automobile garage, workshop, and various maintenance and staff rooms. It is now the international conference center of The Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
AWARDS Honor Award for Design Excellence, American Institute of Architects/Connecticut, 1994
SPECIFICATIONS 50,000 sf restoration and renovation