City of New Haven :
A beaux arts building designed in 1917 by Cass Gilbert, New Haven’s Union Station was a grand public building until the decline of passenger railroads led to its closing in 1954. Suffering from lack of maintenance, extreme water damage, and graffiti, it was almost demolished, until the Northeast Corridor Improvement Project came to the rescue.
We collaborated with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in the complete exterior and interior restoration of Union Station, rebuilding the dark tunnel passageways leading to the train platforms, and constructing a connected commuter parking garage. We built a canopy for the main entrance, and installed elevators and escalators.
Water damaged ceilings, exterior masonry and windows, interior limestone walls, chandeliers, clocks, ticket windows and shop fronts were cleaned and restored. We installed new wooden benches replicating the originals, and removed offices on the balconies, allowing natural light to flood through the arched windows.
National Historic Preservation Award
President Bush’s Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, 1992
American Institute of Architects/New England Regional Council, 1991
Public Space Honor Award
American Institute of Architects, Connecticut, 1989