Yale University : New Haven, CT
In 2012, Newman Architects, PC, working with the Yale Law School Building Committee, was asked to consider options for improving the existing North and South serveries of the Law School’s Dining Hall in the Sterling Law Building.
The existing Law School servery was built in 1931 and renovated and expanded with the addition of the South servery in 1999 as part of a much larger renovation to the Sterling Law Building between 1999 and 2001. While the dining hall and servery configurations and operations served well for some time, the Law School determined that the servery, in its current configuration, no longer satisfied the School’s or its customers’ needs and has inefficiencies in operation.
Responding to a preliminary program document issued by the Law School, the Newman Architects design team, which included food service design consultant LDL Studio of Providence, RI, met with members of the Law School administration, their dining staff, and members of Dining and Facilities to discuss the parameters, constraints, and initial design options for the project.
The Law School administration assembled a focus group of faculty, staff, and students that was interviewed by Yale Dining representatives. The outcome of this exercise allowed for the consideration of other menu options and operational parameters articulated by the primary users of this facility and made it consistent with Yale Dining strategies on a University-wide level.